Benefits Support Program

Benefits Support Program



A Benefits Support Specialist can assist individuals in accessing Medicaid, SNAP, Fuel Assistance, and other needed public benefits!

To schedule a free consultation with a Certified Application Counselor, please call, (413) 586-2000


Numerous housing options are available to elders that provide varying levels of assistance and socialization. The types of living situations range from minimal assistance with certain daily activities to the provision of 24-hour nursing supervision.

When seeking housing for yourself or an elder friend or relative, be sure to do your research. Identify your needs and then inquire if these services are accessible or offered by the housing option and if so, at what cost.

Some options include.

  • Private and subsidized housing
  • Home sharing
  • Congregate living or housing
  • Retirement communities
  • Adult family care
  • Assisted living
  • Continuing care retire communities (CCRC)
  • Rest homes
  • Nursing homes (skilled nursing facilities)

If you would like more information on these options, contact Highland Valley Elder Services (413) 586-2000 or your local housing authority.


This is a federal program administered to adults and children with a disability or blindness who have income and resources below specific financial limits. People who are age 65+ without disabilities may also qualify if they meet certain financial qualifications. For information, contact the Social Security office at 800-772-1213


This is a state administered health insurance plan that assist in paying for Medicare B premiums, deductibles and co-pays. There are different MassHealth programs with different guidelines for eligibility. Additionally, there are income and asset limits that may affect eligibility. Various benefits and "buy-in" programs exist. For information, contact the local SHINE Counselor at 800-243-4636


This provides resources that will help to purchase food. For further information, contact the Department of Transitional Assistance at 877-382-2363

Brown Bag

This is a program that supplies a bag of nutritious groceries once a month to people over the age of 55. For additional information, contact the Food Bank of Western Massachusetts at 413-247-9738

Prescription Advantage

This is a state-sponsored program that provides financial assistance to lower prescription drug costs. For information, contact Prescription Advantage at 800-243-4636

Fuel Assistance

This program provides eligible households with assistance in paying for winter heating bills. For information contact Community Action at 800-370-0940


Your right to regulated utilities (electric, gas & water)

In Massachusetts, if all residents in a household are 65 years of age or older, electricity or gas cannot be shut off without the approval of the Department of Public Utilities (DPU). This also applies to water if it is provided by a company. Utility assistance is available through public benefits plans. If you are experiencing issues with paying for your utilities, you should contact the utility company to discuss options. If you are unable to come to a resolution with the company, you can contact the DPU directly. Some companies also offer discounts to lower income consumers.

  • Berkshire Gas / 800-292-5012
  • Eversource / 877-659-6326
  • National Grid / 800-322-3223
  • DPU / 617-305-3500


If you or a spouse served in the military, you may be eligible for Veterans benefits. Contact your local veterans service agent or the VA Benefits Hotline at 800-827-1000 or the VA main information number at 800-698-2411


All Services